Getting Pregnancy Relief from Chiropractic Care
If you are now or have been pregnant, you are already familiar with the symptoms; nausea, back pain, and fatigue. If you have not been pregnant, then you’ve most definitely heard about these same symptoms. The female body goes through many physical and physiological changes, which create the healthy environment for the baby. These changes can bring on pain and discomfort, and these same changes can create complications and risks. A chiropractor uses different techniques and methods to reduce and relief certain pregnancy symptoms. These techniques can also help mothers create healthier pregnancies.
Is Chiropractic Care Safe, if I’m Pregnant?
A common question newly pregnant mothers ask is if Chiropractic care is safe to get when they’re pregnant. But the truth is Chiropractors are trained in a variety of techniques to work on pregnant woman.
According to the American Pregnancy Association, there is no known contraindications to pregnant women receiving chiropractic care. All chiropractors are trained to work with women who are pregnant, and some take a specific interest in prenatal care to seek additional training. (1). Chiropractors may use tables that adjust for a pregnant women’s body, and techniques that don’t use any unnecessary pressure on the abdomen (1). A trained chiropractor may also provide you with pregnancy safe exercises and stretches (1). The list below shows designations of chiropractors who have taken advanced steps in working with infertility and pregnancy wellness:
- DACCP – Diplomate with ICPA reflecting the highest level of advanced training
- CACCP – Certified with the ICPA reflecting advanced training
- Member of ICPA reflecting special interest
- Webster Certified – trained to work specifically with pelvic balance in pregnancy
(List provide by the American Pregnancy Association)
Some common types of pregnancy symptoms are:
- Back Pain
- High Blood Pressure
(List Provided by 1 & 2)
Why should I have chiropractic care during pregnancy?
There are several benefits to getting chiropractic care when you are pregnant. When your body changes its environment (to accommodate the for the baby), it may cause your spine and joints to misalign (1). This can also cause:
- Protruding abdomen and increased back curve
- Pelvic changes
- Postural adaptations
(List Provided by American Parent Association)
A misaligned spine may also make it difficult for the baby to get into the best position for delivery, which can affect the ability to have a natural, non-invasive birth (1). Breech and posterior positions can interfere with the natural labor and lead to interventions such as C-Sections (1). Your nervous system is the master communication system to all your body systems including the reproductive system and by keeping the spine aligned helps the entire body work more effectively (1).
What are the Benefits of Chiropractic Care?
Chiropractic Care can reduce and resolve many symptoms associated with pregnancy:
- It can Reduce Nausea: Often referred to as “morning sickness,” nausea is one of the most common pregnancy symptoms. A chiropractor can reduce nausea by realigning your spine and improve your overall nervous system function (3). A chiropractor trained in visceral manipulation can also assist with nausea and heartburn during pregnancy.
- It can make Labor and Delivery Easier. Getting regular chiropractic care and help ensure your pelvis, spine and hips are properly aligned so that your nerves are in optimal working order, which can lead to shorter birthing process (3). *Women who want to experience natural childbirth (without the use of medications) can greatly benefit from chiropractic (3).
- Relief from Back Pain (obviously). Your body produces a hormone called relaxin which relaxes and loosens all the ligaments and joints in your pelvic area (3). This causes some women to experience instability and pain in their spines (3). Regular chiropractic adjustments can relieve back pain that comes from these relaxed ligaments and joints being out of place (3). Back pain can also be caused by postural problems, brought on by a heavier belly. Some women experience an unintentional curve in their backs as babies become heavier (3). Chiropractic adjustments can help correct this spina curvature.
- It Can Give a Healthier Overall Pregnancy! The overall goal of chiropractic care is to remove nerve obstructions that prevent your organs and immune system from functioning at optimal levels (3). The stronger and healthier your immune system is the stronger and healthier your baby’s immune system is (3). Prenatal chiropractic care can contribute to improved overall health for both you and your baby.
Scholarly Reviews of Chiropractic and Pregnancy:
Chiropractic care is completely safe for pregnant women. It may also assist in creating an optimal health environment for both the mother and the baby before and during pregnancy.
See More Blogs here
Check us Out on Facebook
Check us Out on Instagram
#Pregancy #Chiroprenancy #Chiropractic #Chicropracticandpregnancy #Healthyliving #PregnancyAdvice
- American Pregnancy Association. “Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy” Published 5/1/2012, Accessed 11/1/2020. https://americanpregnancy.org/health-fitness/chiropractic-care-during-pregnancy-1191
- Healthcare Associates of Texas. 5 Benefits of Seeing a Chiropractor During Pregnancy” Accessed 11/1/2020. https://healthcareassociates.com/5-benefits-of-seeing-a-chiropractor-during-pregnancy/#:~:text=Seeing%20a%20chiropractor%20for%20regular,due%20to%20a%20heavier%20belly
- Holland, Kimberly Revied by Devan McGuinness. HealthlineParenthood. “Early Pregnancy Symptoms.” Published 9/5/2018, Accessed 11/1/2020. https://www.healthline.com/health/pregnancy/early-symptoms-timeline